Cupverting - a user's recount


I am a cupvert . This is my story of switching to menstrual cups. Let me start by admitting it is not easy writing this. After all, I belong to the tribe of office going women, who carry their pads discreetly, without anyone seeing. I am not new to grocers who wrap pads in a black plastic cover, so no one sees you carry one.  Menstruation equals “ uncleanliness”  (don’t even get me started on the Godliness part) , “pretend as though it does not exist”,  “don’t tell anyone”, “not cool to tell people” , “ god forbid if you stain”.




Like all women, I hate it too. What choice do we have but to accept it? 


When my cousin sister introduced me to menstrual cups, she said “this is the best thing that happened to me”.  Yours truly being the “eco-friendly mother earth saving free spirit”, was intrigued and ready to hop on board. So, I faithfully ordered a cup with a good rating on Amazon.

After 6 months, I am air hugging sister dearest for giving me the confidence to shift. I am not going back to pads. The aim of this post is to spread the joy. The feeling of liberation is just too much to ignore and it would be criminal to not share this with the sisterhood.

Moreover, we as a country speak a lot about absolutely frivolous stuff, but shy away from talking about things that make real life better. So, inhibitions aside, here we are.  If you are a man, please do share this  link with the women in your life . If you are a woman reading this and want to try, I am attaching  a few links on how you can choose one for yourself. There is enough stuff on the internet, so I am not going to write about that here. 

First – why shift?


You can buy the most expensive of pads out there – but there is nothing leak proof. As a working woman, I have been harrowed by leaks, chafing and the need to dispose of pad after pad. I can bet no woman can predict her exact cycles or understand when the flow is higher – meaning we end up lugging our favorite brand of pads everywhere – one type for heavy days, another for lighter days. 




We are very particular in choice here, so there’s no question of buying whatever is available nearby.
If you are like me, guilt pangs strike while throwing out each pad – thinking of the time all that plastic would take to fully decompose (I read more than 80 years, or probably never).
All the fancy gels and fiber in the pad to lock up the liquid – chemical laden and not doing us any long-term favors.

Alternates such as cloth based pads are not practical for women working long hours, taking crowded public transport or riding two wheelers (all of which account for most women in the country).

We women are automatically more conscious during periods – grumpy even, trying to get home as fast as possible if the logistics of handling menstruation don’t work in our favor.


s



Enter – the cup.

The menstrual cup is a vagina shaped silicone cup that’s designed to sit it in, well, the vagina.





 It collects the blood and you can empty it out twice a day. No – it won’t get lost inside your body. You can learn to place it and take it out in a few attempts. Is it gross?    Not more gross than using a pad. It is your own body and you can figure out a method to fit it in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9fPUfm-uYE    - this video, is more than enough to watch without wasting your time on numerous resources.




The punch down fold works for me – find out what works for you. Not all that difficult.
During the first few days of the period, empty the cup twice a day - early morning and late evening.

Who is it for?

As far as I have read , there are no restrictions on age - but please check with your doc if you have doubts. 

How easy is it to maintain?
It’s a small medical grade silicone cup, so you can bag it up and keep it your drawer . Buying one is more than enough – you get quality cups for Rs.300 upwards (not as expensive as it was earlier, with so many vendors competing snow). A single cup is supposed to last for over 10 years. 

Sterilize it once before and after each period. My sister suggested I keep a separate kettle just for this, which I find handy. During the period, wash it with quality soap after you empty it each time and rinse well with hot water.  (Digressing to brag – I use my own hand made cold pressed oil soaps). 

How is life after cupverting?

Awesome. 



The best part – after a point, it does not even feel like you are going through “the three days”  - because you don't feel the cup. (Of course, this does not mean no menstrual cramps, if you are prone to them).  No chafing, irritation, no pesky leaks. 




Please give this a few months to learn how to make it leak proof. Carry around a pad, just in case.  But there won’t be use of it after practice.  Imagine being able to walk, run, jump to your heart’s content.  I hear one can swim too, but I won’t go that far out of hygiene concerns.


The cup is a silicone wonder for its practical versatility and simplicity. If you have concerns, do your reading and consult your gynecologist before use. You can join support groups of facebook too, if you don’t have someone to talk to. Joining communities will help shed inhibitions and find answers to common doubts. On behalf of all happy cupverts, here is hoping you give this a try.

GiF courtesy https://putacupinit.com/


Comments

  1. Yayyy... Love you girl.. I'm glad we are cupverts...

    And your blog is awesome.. Loved reading it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Article Sangeetha.. it's been a year of my cup journey and it's simply the way to go for everyone..Glad you write about it.. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the encouragement Kani. Glad to hear your experience has been good too. It seems to be a unanimous opinion with all cupverts

      Delete
  3. I have a mental block and am resistant to change, on this matter. Your blog is enlightening and makes new want to try. I hope I am a cupvert soon, environmental reasons not being least.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment