What exercise does to me




I joined the gym around the same time last year (May 15, 2019).  While I am bad with remembering dates, a big investment in time such as fitness, warrants some memory of timelines. It helps track progress and reflect if the time was worth it. More importantly, it helps assess if I am enjoying the process.

One year hence,  the answer has been a resounding yes.  While I started with moderate expectations, the results have been beyond what I thought was possible.  While the most obvious result is weight loss, I value the strength and resultant confidence, way more than the weight loss.  

This will end up being a long post, so I am breaking it into two. The impact physical exercise has had on my body and second, on my mind. 


A bit of history before I dive into these two.  Yours truly was the kid in school who preferred curling up with a book at the corner table , to playing some sport. I grew up in Trichy with no Cable TV until high school, so I was not inactive. I played occasionally, walked, cycled, practiced some yoga, but no serious physical activity.   In short, yours truly is not the kind of person one would associate with a gym. 

Fast forward 20 years to 2019, I was a working mother, who rarely took time off for physical activity.  I live to eat and consider cooking and eating to be the greatest pleasure on earth. No prizes for guessing I was not feeling all that healthy. I was focusing on healthy eating, but totally missed the strength and fitness piece. 

My body fat was 40% and I had not shed my pregnancy weight.   Frankly, I was scared for my health. I had joined gyms a couple of times before, but found them drab , dull places that did not motivate me at all.  

One fine morning, the universe conspired that I visit and sign up at a gym nearby. I nervously joined, overpaying for some fancy package deal, in a bid to get some super human results.  The first month, I fidgeted around the place, trying to focus on some cardio and floor exercises. 

During this phase, I was noticed by my sisterhood in the gym, who brought me into their folds and our trainer.    My  friend made me run with her in the morning before getting to the gym. I was horrified when she suggested I start running. But, she shared her personal  journey and convinced me to join her. 

We started from our houses in Abhiramapuram, all the way to Boat Club and back to the gym - around 3-5 km every day, depending on the time we had. In the first few weeks, I would run every 200 Mts and stop to walk. This went on for a month or so, till one fine day, I realised I could jog a whole 6 kms around Boat Club. Our running time was 4.45 to 5.30 am. Then, it was time in the gym until 6.45 am. Workouts alternated , with 3 days of bootcamp and 4 days of personal training with our trainer.  It was a truly a God send to work with him and my friends.

Bootcamps were on Monday Wednesday and Friday - they came as a mixed bag - cardio, weights with dumbells and barbells, body weights, pilates.  While bootcamps started at 5.30 am, we would complete 30 mins of cardio in advance - most of the days. The other four days of the week, were with our trainer, who understood my requirement and ensured there was no boredom at all. I started liking the machines as I had him to correct my form.  Variety was the name of the game here and no two days were the same.  Sundays were the most fun - we typically went for a long run from 5.30 to 6.45, then head to the gym for training - another hour and a half.  Sundays were a day for novelty workout - battle rope, TRX bands,  boxing and kick boxing - the works. I soon developed a love for sweating it out early morning.


What exercise did to me physically:

To start with, the not-so-appealing part:


1. I injured and hurt myself. A lot.

The first few weeks at the gym were sheer torture.  It started with severe pain in the  hamstring (fancier name for inner thighs), glutes (again, stylish gym reference for butt muscles) and knees. However, there is a distinction between pain and injury. Exercising a muscle after a long time causes pain - which can be overcome if you keep working the same muscle again. Pain is a signal for progress; muscles that have not been exercised, are waking up. Pain is warm up for the muscles and should not be mistaken for injury. Injury happens with wrong form and posture.

These are some of my minor injuries due to bad posture or lifting weights beyond what I was prepared for.
I did kettlebell snatches with 12 kg bells and twisted my lower back. I could not sit properly for days on end. My shoes wore out after some time and running with them injured some feet muscles. I have strained my neck , wrists putting pressure on it when lifting weights.

However, I never missed a workout. My trainer would stretch and relieve the pain and I continued working out other parts of the body. Eventually, I learnt to deal with minor injuries and move on. They do not scare me anymore. As for the pain, it becomes enjoyable after a point in time.  Pain is proof you are working a muscle and making it stronger. That is satisfaction enough.


2.  Reduced my appetite

Food is my one true love.  Earlier, I could eat through the day - anytime.  Regular exercise reduced my appetite.  I started avoiding dinner to keep a light stomach for early morning. Later, I realised it had a jazzy name called "Intermittent fasting" .  My appetite lowered naturally, in a way that felt right ; I did not have to starve or deprive myself.  Eating cooked food stops at sundown, around 6.30 pm (if  I eat anything at all beyond this time, it would be a fruit or so, that too before 8 pm ) and my next solid meal is breakfast at 8 am the next morning.  This gives me around 14 hours of going on an empty stomach. I crave that light feeling now. It does not feel like a fast. Exceptions to this routine are very rare.

Food remains my one true love - I just eat in moderation and appreciate it more.


3.Stamina and Strength:

I could slowly feel myself getting stronger as I worked out more. It started with building stronger calf muscles while running.  Regular cardio such as running, jumping jacks, burpees and lunges,  helped with strengthening the lower body. Our trainer would alternate the use of machines for the upper body. Floor exercises worked the abs and hips.

Walking up fleets of stairs is not difficult now - I used to pause and pant every two floors earlier.  Carrying heavy bags of grocery is not painful.  Lifting up my 6 year old is not difficult either.  Working out has a lot of practical advantages. My palms are scaly and rough from handling weights,  but it is totally worth it.

It is humbling to not be able to keep up at first , as it is satisfying to notice improvement with practice.


4. Lose body fat and build muscle

From 40% body fat, I am now in the more acceptable levels of around 28% (have not checked recently though, thanks to the lockdown) .  As far as weight loss is concerned,  I had  the advantage of a "base effect" as business folk and economists call it. I started at around 83 kg last May and now I am at 67 kg, thereabouts.  It feels great to be back at the weight I was in under grad, even fitting into clothes from ten years ago.

5. Improved lung power and breathing

High intensity exercises mean heavy breathing. Over a period of time, you get used to fast breathing, which clears up the lungs and improves blood circulation to all parts of the body.  Working out regulates breathing - encouraging deeper, controlled breath.  This has led to lesser cold/cough and better resistance to dust / particles in the air.


What exercise does to my mind:


1.  Faith in  persistence, patience and consistency:

Recollecting the first day I tried to do burpees, I could hardly jump up beyond the first few reps.  My planks lasted 10 secs before I plonked to the ground , flat on the belly.  One year later, I do burpees easily, planks last 1.5 mins and I manage 10 km runs .

The most significant impact of working out, has been on the mind. It is an uphill climb to lose weight and build lean muscle. By all measures , I am only on the way.  I may not be the most powerful person in the room, nor the fittest. But, I am confident I am among the most consistent. Consistency is the secret sauce I have had the pleasure of discovering.  Turning up and doing the job for that day, shows results months down the line. Taking it one day at a time, is a life lesson that can be extended to all challenges life throws.  There are no short cuts or magic pills.  As the now infamous Woody Allen once said, " 90% of life is just showing up".  If there is one lesson I have learnt over the past year, it is the power of patience and consistency.



2. I think about my food  a lot more

Exercise has turned me into a food snob. I eat clean -  at home 98% of the time ; I do not fancy eating out that much.  Food has to be local and as fresh as possible. It gives me immense joy to eat native veg, grains, oil and pulses. Nothing  on the lines of quinoa, avocado, kiwi and asparagus grilled in olive oil.
Don't get me wrong.  I enjoy the occasional  olive oil on a salad dressing. Most of the time, it is native traditional rice and millet, idli with chutney sambar, all sorts of Upma, local vegetables and spices.  At my place, the main fat is gingelly oil, followed by coconut oil, groundnut oil and ghee. Fried snacks are allowed if made from cold pressed oils. Snacks are mostly til or groundnut laddoos,  traditional snacks like kamarkat, kadalai mittai (chikki) dry fried groundnuts and channa dal. Life , however, is meant to be ridden with guilty pleasures. Visits to Mylapore temple tank / market or Mint Street warrant a Bajji , panipuri/vadapav. An evening with the cousins demands a pizza order.  Being a snob in the streets of Mylapore is Saami Kutham (sin), so I indulge in  the oily roadside kuzhi paniyaram and runny (often questionable) chutney,  but occasionally.

My passion for food and sustainable living got a fillip by way of physical activity.

Also, I run away from people who call rice "Carbs", fruits "Sugar" and coconut oil "cholesterol".  Trust me, you do not want to keep their company. 



3.  What other people think or say does not matter that much

" Yoga is the best form of exercise"
" You will damage your knees if you use machines"
" You will gain all the weight back once you stop going to the gym"
" Walking is enough for women"
"Do half an hour of exercise , it is enough"
"You will never lose weight in the tummy after your C section "
" You take a lot of time for yourself, you could spend more time with the kid"
"You will have no strength if you don't eat in the night"

The above, are words of wisdom that I have got from people across the board - including those who have a genuine interest in my well being.  I have learnt none of their opinion matters. Even if it is derived from their own personal experience. My journey, is mine alone  and I get to decide what I enjoy.   I have learnt to mix things up and I enjoy functional exercises, cardio, weights and practically all forms of breaking into a sweat. There are enough opportunities to learn from mistakes along the way.  There is no set template or space for binary proclamations. At first, I would get irritated with all the free advice, but I no longer get worked up or bother to give a detailed explanation. I smile politely and move on.  No guilt traps, no succumbing to derived opinion. It is too joyful an experience to let people around ruin it for you.


4. Keeps me happier and in a better frame of mind


Thanks to all the endorphins, I stay in a better mood . If I feel bad, a run clears up the mind. Even during these lockdown times, I keep up the morning workout routine. It has kept me sane and away from most of the  negative sentiment. Of course, this is not a crazy opioid that puts you in a perpetual state of mirth. That would be downright scary. However, there is no denying the fact that all the blood rush helps me stay more calm and optimistic than I usually would be.


5. It is never too late to start . Anything you want. 

I started working out for the first time in life, at 34 years, after having my kid. I had no muscle memory to fall back on. We are often told we are too old to start things we have always wanted to. That age is somehow a factor that has to be in our favour.  It is never too late. I may not be able to run like the wind, but I can jog at my pace and keep improving. I may not be able to build the flexibility of a ballerina or the agility of a professional athlete. But those are not my goals anyway.  I workout enough to be able to eat the way I want to and stay active.

Any interest that is stowed away too long, for lack of time, will bubble up and erupt as a regret later.  Now is always a good time.

Giving credit where it is due,  it would not be the same without my team - I fall back on them for support and encouragement.  I am in Trichy now and it has been two months since the gym closed.  I do not know when we will get back. But the past year, has set  me up firmly to remain active wherever I am , even if there are no resources.

By next year, I hope to be able to run a half marathon (without stopping to walk) and  do full range push ups. We'll see.


Some images from the past year:


Around August 2019, on the rare occasion that Bharath joined 


August 2019, first 5km with my friend who made me run

Sunday morning PT  - Oct 2019 


First 10 km



December morning run inside IIT M


My workout buddies, who turned into extended family in a very short time - Nov 2019



Bootcamp mornings - Jan 2020




Yours truly in lockdown , May 2020













Comments

  1. Wonderful share of your experience... From your heart... Way to go... You are there to inspire many💪💪

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly simple and we'll written Sangeetha. Happy first anniversary of fit living.
    Weight loss is the first step and healthy and happiness on a daily basis is the secret

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely article . very well expressed !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super enthusiastic post. Feels energetic:). Thanks sangeetha for the post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment