The "Feel like a Hero" Playlist


These are weird times . Times to bring out the super hero inside each of us. I do not mean this in a dramatic sense .  Difficult times can make us philosophical, stronger and more thoughtful than our usual selves. If we could channel this new found energy to build resilience and take it one day at a time, tiding over this period won't be all that bad.  Music, to me, is a proven tool to cut off distractions, improve focus and be in a better mood through the day.

Here is a list of  heart warming / thumping tracks that put me in a heroic mood, with a generous sprinkle of philosophical feel good.  I have also quoted my favourite lines from each track.  


1. "The Circle of Life"  from "The Lion King"

The Lion King is a timeless classic. The Circle of Life by Sir Elton John, has profound lyrics  and a rousing composition. This is more than a song ; The Circle of Life is an anthem in its own right. I have found myself relating so much with the lyrics.

( I watched the Lion King on Broadway up close.  " The Circle of Life" performed live on stage, had me in goosebumps with an uncontrollable smile all through.)




" From the day we arrive on the planet
And, blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found
But the sun rolling high
Through the sapphire sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round
It's the circle of life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the circle
The circle of life"






2. " Toss a coin to your Witcher"   from " The Witcher" 



 I just watched The Witcher and "Toss a coin to your Witcher" is my latest ear worm.  It is an ode to the Witcher's spirit, sung by Jaskier, the Bard. The Witcher was a half decent watch (Not going to lie here, still getting over Henry Cavill's brooding good looks and the intense sword fight sequences). 





3. " Blue Monday" Sebastian Bohm Remix  ( Trailer of Wonder Woman 1984)


An instrumental for a change. The Wonder Woman 1984's trailer was spectacular. I heard New Order's Blue Monday  remixed version set to the trailer . Hooked on since. 




4. " Mountains"   from Interstellar

  " Mountains" , in the Interstellar movie , appears in the planet where they mistake a wave for a Mountain. Every second on the planet is a day on Earth and there is whole lot of thought and theory behind this track. I admire Hans Zimmer's ability to vastly shift colour in the span of a few notes. Notice the rise from 1:54. Pure ecstasy. 


If are a fan of Interstellar, I urge you to watch the making of the music, linked here. I found it fascinating. Have watched this many many times. 






5. Wavin' Flag, K'NAAN

The first few seconds of Wavin' Flag sound like our very own Kuthu songs. 100% feels.  We will all be stronger , we will have freedom soon. 

Give me freedom,
Give me fire,
Give me reason,
Take me higher.

See the champions
Take the field now.
Unify us,
Make us feel proud.




6. "Is she with you?"  Batman Vs Superman


DC messed up with Batman Vs Superman, but took redemption by giving us Wonder Woman and this theme.





7. We are the Champions, Queen 

No time for losers. Enough said. 

I had not heard Queen too much before Bohemian Rhapsody. The movie led me to explore Queen and their work deeper.  


We are the champions, my friends.
And we'll keep on fighting 'til the end.
We are the champions.
We are the champions.
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions of the world.





8. The Dark Knight Rises 


The Batman Trilogy by Christopher Nolan took the character, dialogues, music and movie experience to a different scale. 

The whole series would make for a good watch now. It gave us innumerable gems such as : 


“Why do we fall, Bruce? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.”

“Madness, As You Know, Is A Lot Like Gravity. All It Takes Is A Little Push.”  

“It’s not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.” 

" As a man, I'm flesh and blood, I can be ignored, I can be destroyed; but as a symbol... as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting." 


This theme from the final movie conjures images of Batman riding the Batmobile through Gotham, his cape billowing in the wind, Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, the Bat cave and Robin. 





9. " Happy " , Pharrell Williams. 


Happy is one of those anytime tracks that lighten up any place, situation. 





10. Beat It. Michael Jackson 


Michael Jackson. Saying no more. 




11.  Super Bowl 2020 , Jennifer Lopez and Shakira


I have lost track of the number of times I have seen this. These two are such performance powerhouses - dancing , singing, Shakira even playing the guitar and drums in between. 
Anyone who has been on stage, will know how difficult it is to walk and speak, let alone pole dance and sing.  Some women make age look like a mere number and getting older seem more fun and liberating. 




12. Pirates of the Caribbean Medley, Hans Zimmer and crew live


This medley led by Tina Guo on the Cello, has sky high levels of energy. 

The women on the violin slay it along with Tina. The last few minutes are pure joy. Watch out for the Flautist with a hat, having the time of his life. 





13. Avengers Theme. Alan Silvestri

This list can't miss the Avengers theme. A call to gang up and fight with our collective powers. 





I have made a public youtube playlist here, if you are interested. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFg6NUoTSAX0VxjLZFtEudyoW6tiDP_iv


Happy listening!






Comments